Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Local authority project funding
The local authority project funding pool supports projects that encourage the continued development of local authorities and their communities.
The funding aims to:
- build stronger communities
- help local governing bodies and their communities become stronger and self-sustaining
- provide quality community infrastructure that facilitates community activity and integration
- develop local government capacity to provide legitimate representation, effective governance improved service delivery and sustainable development.
The funding pool is $5 million each year. It is distributed to each local authority through a methodology developed by the Northern Territory Grants Commission.
What you can use the funding for
The following are examples of how you can use the funding:
- repairs and maintenance of community assets
- acquiring plant and equipment directly related to local government service delivery
- upgrading or enhancing community sporting facilities.
What you can't spend funding on
You can't use funding for any of the following:
- buying vehicles for predominately private use
- paying salaries
- purposes that are not of a local government nature that are relevant to another NT Government department.
How grants are paid
Regional councils will receive a letter of offer and acceptance documentation.
If you receive a letter of offer, you must:
- ensure that there are no outstanding grant acquittals
- return the signed acceptance form back to the Department with appropriate authorisation.
These grants are released in September.
How to acquit your grant
There is no formal acquittal process but there is expectation that the money will:
- be spent in line with these guidelines
- address community priority projects as identified by the local authorities.
Funding will be subject to random audits to ensure the integrity of the program is maintained.
Administration and/or project management fees are not to be levied on this grant funding.
Phone: (08) 8924 3644
Last updated: 18 April 2016