Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Review of Regional Governance 2013
The Northern Territory Government is committed to delivering a stronger local voice and improved services in regional and remote areas of the Northern Territory.
Since their formation in 2008, the regional shire councils have made strong progress in delivering remote services with sound management and strong accountability.
However, it is acknowledged that many residents feel disconnected from their shire councils and more needs to be done to strengthen the connections between shire councils and local residents.
The review of local governance in regional and remote areas aims to:
- make sure people living in regional and remote areas have a strong voice in local government
- use local knowledge, authority and responsibility
- keep strong accountability and good service standards.
Regional governance working group
The consultation - what did you say?
A summary of the consultation process is detailed in the Review of Regional Governance: Final Consultation Report .
- regional councils with local authorities will replace shire councils
- local authorities will have a key role linking the community and the regional council
- regional councils will be community focussed and required to plan for and report on each local authority area
- new ministerial guidelines, developed in consultation with councils, will set out the establishment and operational processes of local authorities.
Ministerial guidelines for local authorities
- give communities more say in the long term plans and budget for their community
- provide a reference point for community members to bring up matters that are important to the community
- deal with urgent issues
- act as a conduit to the regional council.
The Department of Local Government and Community Services has consulted with the local government sector and other community stakeholders concerning the development and practical implementation of the ministerial guidelines.
Regional governance newsletters
- factsheet - working group
- factsheet - frequently asked questions
- options paper
- options paper presentation
- your council your voice poster
- local authorities poster
- download and listen to the radio ad - English